Looking for the jazz experience of a lifetime?
Get ready to grace the international music scene in this inspiring musical and intercultural experience, aiming at the highest artistic level!
Jeunesses Musicales International (JMI) together with Jeunesses Musicales Croatia (JM Croatia) invite you to join the 2015 edition of the JM Jazz World Orchestra. This time we’re in Croatia and musicians can look forward to one week of jazzy fun together with top young international jazz musicians before touring and performing at some of Europe's most famous Jazz Festivals. With an artistic scope that is in itself a major achievement, the JMJW also represents for its members, a unique experience in terms of personal relationship building, intercultural learning and exchange.
We are excited to announce that Luis Bonilla (USA) has been selected to lead this year's JM Jazz World. Bonilla, a California raised, Costa Rican trombonist, composer and arranger, has taken in and mastered an incredible array of musical styles. His success as a sideman with such greats as McCoy Tyner, Dizzy Gillespie, Lester Bowie, Tom Harrell, Freddie Hubbard, Astrud Gilberto, Willie Colon and Toshiko Akiyoshi attests not only to the skill and variety of Bonilla’s talent, but also to a mind restlessly committed to exploring some of the most complex and demanding music of our time. He is a member of the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra, the Afro-Latin Jazz Orchestra under Arturo O’Farrill’s direction (both 2009 Grammy winners) and the group Dave Douglas & Brass Ecstasy. Besides a busy performance/masterclass schedule year-round, Bonilla is a faculty member of the Manhattan School of Music and New England Conservatory.
"I feel timing and opportunity have come together for a major impact in the Jazz industry. The fresh new sounds a Global Youth Jazz Orchestra can offer today will rival any new music project in today's market. We will be fresh!!"
The JM Jazz World Orchestra is looking for talented musicians between the ages of 18 and 25 playing: Saxophone, trombone, trumpet, horn, tuba, guitar, bass, drums, percussion, piano and vocals. It is essential you read sheet music, but the most important thing is your love for playing jazz music!
The plan is to meet in Groznjan on the 2nd of July to socialize, play and work together to create the best young big band the world has ever seen. July 7th we set off on tour with concerts planned in Belgium, Croatia, Germany, the Netherlands and Slovenia.
More plans coming soon!
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application by March 16, 2015 via this ONLINE APPLICATION FORM or visit www.jmjazzworld.com.
A professional international jury will select the best candidates.
Candidates who make it through the first selection may be asked to present additional material.
The jury will make their final decision by April 15. Selecting around 20 musicians to form the JM Jazz World Orchestra 2015 as well as a reserve shortlist of musicians, who may join the project in the case of cancelations.
All candidates will be notified about the results by the end of April.
APPLICATIONS MUST INCLUDE
1. Your full C.V. (must contain information about faculty of music, academy and school of music, experience acquired as a jazz musician)
2. Recommendation from a music teacher or similar
3. A signed statement from either your parents, yourself, university, school or a JMI National Member or Associate Section, stating that your travel costs to/from Croatia will be covered.
4. Attach links to videos with you performing at least 2 different pieces: a theme and an improvisation. The candidates need to be clearly heard, with an important soloist part.
Complementary (but not as a replacement) links to websites where audio & video can be downloaded, can be added. The video material must clearly marked with the name of the candidate, the part of their musical performance and title. Please note that the maximum allowed size for each uploaded file is 10MB.
• During your stay, all accommodation and material needs are provided by JM Croatia. JM Croatia provides transportation to and from either Trieste or Pula Airport.
• Transportation to and from Croatia must be covered by the participant but may be sponsored by your national JMI member organisation (www.jmi.net) or other local organizations or schools.
• Musicians must take care about their own Visas and all other official requirements as well as pocket money for their private expenses. If invitation letters are required please contact JM Croatia once selected.
• You must have a good comprehension of English as all workshops will be in English. Spanish is welcome too.
• Selected musicians must insure their own instrument, travel and health!
Info JMJW 2015
Jeunesses Musicales Croatia
Trg S. Radica 4
Tel: +385 1 6114640
Mob: +385 98 1696892
Dubravka Dujmović Kušan
Jeunesses Musicales International
Rue Defacqz 1
T. +32 2 513 9774
F. +32 2 514 4755